Tag Archives: windows server

Ubuntu: AD authentication after system upgrade

After a System upgrade from Ubuntu Precise Pangolin to Trusty Tahr I wasn’t able to connect to the server using SMB. The server is part of a active directory. Reading the documentation through, I figured out that wbinfo worked flawless, but the user was not found when using id.

$ wbinfo -u

$ id my.user
id: my.user: no such user

/etc/nsswitch.conf need be configured right (winbind must be configured), but it was in my case:

passwd: compat winbind
group: compat winbind
shadow: compat

Using strace, I figured out that libnss_winbind.so.2 wasn’t found by id. In the end, the solution was easy as that:

$ sudo apt-get install libnss-winbind
$ sudo service winbind restart
winbind stop/waiting
winbind start/running, process 3399
$ id my.user
uid=10006(my.user) gid=10002(domain user) groups=...

MUI on Windows Server 2008 R2

Today I tried to install a Language Pack (KB974587) on a Windows Server 2008 R2. This failed silently, but I found a hint in the Logfiles (C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log):

2012-07-28 18:24:50, Info                  CSI    000005f7 Begin executing advanced installer phase 34 (0x00000022) index 4105 (0x0000000000001009) (sequence 4137)
    Old component: [l:0]""
    New component: [ml:324{162},l:322{161}]"Microsoft-Windows-WCFCoreComp.Resources, Culture=de-de, Version=6.1.7600.16385, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, ProcessorArchitecture=amd64, versionScope=NonSxS"
    Install mode: install
    Installer ID: {d82eedee-854e-4f9a-b458-ae1bc62a0e6b}
    Installer name: [16]"LodCtr Installer"
2012-07-28 18:24:50, Error                 CSI    00000022 (F) Logged @2012/7/28:16:24:50.996 : [ml:456{228},l:454{227}]"Cannot open actual INI file "C:\Windows\inf\ServiceModelService\_ServiceModelServicePerfCounters.ini" referenced in "C:\Windows\inf\ServiceModelService\0407\_ServiceModelServicePerfCounters_D.ini", error code 2."

The ServiceModelService belongs to the WCF part of the .NET Framework. In the Server Manager under Features I found the “WCF-Activation” option. So I activated this option (with “Non-HTTP Activation”). Afterwards, the file in Question existed and the installation of the Language Pack succeeded!